Friday, September 7, 2012

Books

In case I had not made this clear, books are one of my biggest obsessions in life. Below some specifics in the matter: favorites and why:
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel García Márquez) ---- My ALL time favorite, which taught me I can, indeed, create something out of nothing easily if I only try, but it can also as easily be destroyed. What easy comes, easy goes.
  • The Fountaindhead (Ayn Rand) ---- Second favorite ever, which taught me what I can achieve provided I truly want it, as opposed to just wanting it. It seems simple enough, but it isn’t.
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde) ---- Beauty. It is not in the eye of the beholder after all, but in the way in which we perceive ourselves and how we present that image to people.
  • White Oleander (Janet Fitch) ---- Genius cannot be fought. It cannot be created either. It just is and we must let it flow when it is present. Even when “destroyed,” it flows on ravaging everything on its way.
  • Veronika Decides to Die (Paulo Coehlo)---- What would you do if you had nothing left to lose? Possessions whether material or emotional only hold us back.
  • The Prince (Niccolo Machiavelli)---- How to get what I want.
  • Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel García Márquez)---- As a tortured artist, I seem to be a hopeless romantic despite my attempts to debunk the socially constructed idea of love.
  • The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath) ---- It is not enough to be a great artist in the dark, it is important to have a light shinning on the art created. If a tree falls in the forest and nobdoy hears it, it didn't make any noise.
All in all, I have lost count of how many books I have read and the list of books I have yet to read continues to grow. There is always something that strikes me from every single one I read.



xo,R
©2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
If you have any questions, feel free to send them to ashesandfeathers@gmail.com for a timely response.

xo,R