Monday, April 18, 2011

Blogging with a job

First, I would like to apologize for neglecting this work in progress for the past few weeks. It has taken me a while to become accustomed to my new schedule. But I fully intend to resume a more stable blogging schedule (excuse the tautology).
With that said, allow me to share a most unfortunate discovery I made during the time I have been away. Blogging with a real job is rather difficult! Blogging requires not only time and creativity, but dedication. There must be a balanced combination of all three ingredients. I have been lacking time, which has caused my dedication to be questionable. Despite those issues, creativity continues to prosper, however.
After discovering the above mentioned misfortune, I immediately realized why writers are poor. A day job is not an option. Inspiration cannot flow. It does not have enough space to evolve into a masterpiece. It's work is left unfinished. It's development is cut short. It's breathes become cautious, slow, few. Writing requires time, which is rather scarce with a job. So writing learns a new skill: it becomes a time thief. It snatches every moment it can to let itself run free. Eventually, however, it begins to drift into a night activity. It begins an affair with the night when nothing can stand on its way. It recovers its strength. Sleep becomes second nature.

xo,R
©2011

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, this is a second post on this today. I have started to believe that because of my having a job my art life is not prospering as it should. But how would I pay for all that expensive watercolor paper if I don't work.... But just to tell you, from experience: It CAN be done, just requires some sacrifises. Nothing awful, but sacrifises non the less.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!
If you have any questions, feel free to send them to ashesandfeathers@gmail.com for a timely response.

xo,R