Monday, March 7, 2011

Epiphany

Photobucket

Someone asked me if my goal for being in Europe was to find myself, and I said no. I did not even have to think about it. The answer was automatic. Then, as I was standing at Piazza Michelangelo looking at how beautiful Florence is as the day turns into night, I had an epiphany.
Ever since I decided to be a writer, I started chasing myself in an attempt to find a masterpiece within. Years have passed since I made the decision, though I have never stopped writing, I continue to chase myself because that the masterpiece has yet to be created.
I run. I run as fast as I can. I run faster than I ever thought it was possible for me to move. But however fast I run, I never catch up. I lose my breath and toy with the idea of a break if only to breath properly for a second. Yet, I quickly discard the idea afraid that I would lose ground and with that sight of what I am chasing.
I realized as the day left me in Florence that not catching up is what creating that masterpiece is all about. I can never catch up to myself or I would be over as an artist. The chase is where the inspiration is found. The chase triggers the need to create. If I am not chasing, I cannot create. Without the chase there is obviously not any movement e.i. I would be creatively stuck. I will admit that chasing can be exhausting, so I might need to take short breaks from time to time, but I will never stop chasing because the day I do, the game will be over...

Photobucket

xo,R
©2011

3 comments:

  1. Oh these pictures makes me remember lovley memories, was in florense in high school with my ART class, it's still beautiful!

    my name is Johanna, from sweden, nice to meet you, feel free to visit my blog :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg..those pictures are truly breathtaking. And I hope you never catch up to yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! Such a beautiful piece of writing R and such gorgeous pictures to compliment it. I know all too well what this feels like.

    Meag xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!
If you have any questions, feel free to send them to ashesandfeathers@gmail.com for a timely response.

xo,R