Friday, December 10, 2010

My Grandpa

Allow me to introduce you to Don Luis, my grandpa! It took me a while to understand the impact he has had in my life, but I am finally getting there. I have been going around this for a while and I don't really know how to explain it, but my grandpa is the coolest thing since cocoa puffs! I could spend hours listening to his stories. He has lived! I say that not in the sense that his life was, because thankfully he is still alive and I do hope he is around for MANY years to come! When I make that statement, I aim it to mark the definition of being alive as different from that of existing.
My grandpa is not an ordinary man though he grew up in an ordinary town. He lived through the World War II and was part of the Bracero Program. He knows where ex-president Bill Clinton is from because ICE arrested him there years before Clinton even thought about being president. He has travel most of the US and Mexico, interestingly enough due to necessity not for leisure. He made a living out of making huaraches and was famous in the region for his work. He has worked so many different jobs and suffered the strangest injuries along the way. But he still stands strong!
When I listen to his stories, he sounds calm and composed. He is happy to tell me what he has lived through, yet there is no trace in his soul for calling his experiences “what he has lived through.” For him, it was just life. The difficult, hard working and rather painful life is all he knew then and he cherishes those experiences as being what made him who he is. Yet, I cannot help but wonder what would have happened if his father had not died when he was so young, which prompted him to take care of his family.
The story of my grandpa’s life is so amazing in every detail. I always want to know more and more about it. The details he gives me never seem to be enough. Though I hope it never happens, I do wonder if I will ever annoy him with my questions. Challenging as it has been, his life is also magical from my perspective. It is from a different era, indeed. Not to mention that he has lived in times where so many important things happened, that I often still find myself asking him about certain events that occurred at a time at which I know he was already alive and old enough to offer an account of. It is so much better than reading about them. So I interrogate him about the events of historical nature that have taken place in his lifetime not because he was there (though in some cases, he was), but because he has a more pure account than that found in the history books. He can tell me what happened before the victors wrote the book about it! So the most enthralling part of the tale is beyond the fact that he has lived to tell it, but the fact that he is part of history! The history found in books where if I look hard enough I might even find his name!

Here he is making carnitas al estilo Michoacan, but in the U.S.






xoxo,
R

©Copyrighted 2010

5 comments:

  1. so is mine - i love him! such a lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely. I can't wait to read the actually stories and thus live the accounted history through his eyes...

    -Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely grandpa :))) Mine are also really interesting men :)) Write down some of the stories ;)
    Glad I came across your blog! If you get the time, please visit mine - I think you might like it ;))) If you do, just like any blogger, I appreciate comments and if you like it THAT much, then followers :D Have a nice day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww yes my granpa is the best!!
    i love him so much..
    and i think that you probably wont annoy him he enjoys talkin about his life specially with you!!
    and icant wait till you have the stories written all down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. agree cousin...
    you couldn't have described him any better
    our grandpa is the best :)
    and i agree with my cousin above me too^^^^
    grandpa wont be annoyed he enjoys telling us his stories

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!
If you have any questions, feel free to send them to ashesandfeathers@gmail.com for a timely response.

xo,R