Sunday, August 15, 2010

Vidal, Orozco & Associates

Although many of you hear/read about my dearest friends, very few of you know about V. V and I met almost ten years ago and the story of our friendship began. You might be expecting for me to tell you all about V in the most pure journalist style, but I will not. Simply put, she is an inspiration, and difficult to define because she does not fit into the cookie cuter mold of her appearance. I did not know that at the beginning, however, so I did not like her one bit, I must confess. She knows this because we have talked about it plenty. We were associated to different groups of people during our first year of high school both having just arrived from a foreign country, the same motherland, actually, but from a different part and for different reasons. So during one year, despite having two classes together, we only knew of each other. Summer came around and with that summer school. We both had to be in a program for kids learning English as a second language and the teacher decided to seat her in front of me. I asked to be moved or to have her moved, but he did not do anything about the, honestly, nonexistent situation. V would say hello and I would roll my eyes at her. 
To tell you the truth, I am completely unaware as to how we became friends that summer. I just remember that at some point I started having small arguments with her then boyfriend, who also became one of my best friends that summer, because we both needed her attention. He needed her to love him more than she loved the sun, and I needed her to hold my hand while I crawled out of my depression. To this day, I am not even sure she knows how much she helped me at the time. Why her, you might ask. Well, she understood my pain without having to explain it. She had been there before, much worse from I was able to grasp through the years. So to avoid her boyfriend’s drama, which was ridiculous and which today he claims as just a joke, we became pen pals. We exchanged letters, which went from my hands to hers and vice versa during breaks, for three years. This practice went on even after her and the boyfriend had broken up and after we actually hung out with each and made our own group of friends. A deserves an honorable mentioned as part of this group because she also became a big part of my life then and still is. So A, thanks for joining in the madness.
Besides helping me out of the hole in which I had been existing without being aware of it, V also accompanied me on a journey through my newly rediscovered fixation with both appreciation and creation of art and literature that has been growing exponentially ever since and for which I am most thankful. So she got to know me and I her. We became, not best friends, but FRIENDS. Yes, with capital letters. There is no need for a superlative because to a friendship like this, which does not respect borders or time, adding another word to a label would be like saying that only blue is bluest. 
I know that story sounds ridiculous especially because we were in high school and it is always said that one meets their best friends in college.  I did meet some great friends in college. VB, L, S, N know how much they mean to me. I must not forget R and J, who ridiculously enough I have known all my life, but our strong friendships are somewhat part of a very recent past. Please keep in mind, that the above mentioned are those who have transcended time and place. I met many others who are still important for me, but do not weight in as much in my life as them. 
Too much mystery I know. But I promise you won’t be disappointed when we are done with our creation. It will take us some time, indeed, but it will definitely be worth the wait. Two minds DO think better than one! Exciting times are ahead. I cannot wait to show you, yet I must.  
We both know that this will be like climbing Mount Everest just because it is there. This surreal journey will be a good start to honor the words of a very dear teacher, mentor and friend, "V and R are GREAT. Go conquer the world!" Well, dear Mr. M fear not for WE WILL! But, of course, you knew that even before we did.

In the mean time, expect to be seeing/reading more about my actual work. No, I am not talking about my job but my work. There is an abysmal difference. My job is where I spend eight daily hours bored like an oyster doing non-challenging tasks that border on the offensive and which seem to force some of my brain cells to take a vacation or commit suicide, and for which I receive a check which pays for my bills. My work, however, is my art. It is what keeps those cells on my brain that are on vacation most of the time alive. In other words, what I write, draw or the pictures I take that do not have me in them. When I told you I was planning to do a reading/exposition, I was completely serious. I just need a little bit of time to put it all together. Also, season two of The Colors of Chaos coming soon.

Stay tuned.

Here is to wonderful life changing projects!

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down as far as I could
To where it bend in the underground;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost




xoxo,
R

Copyrighted 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!
If you have any questions, feel free to send them to ashesandfeathers@gmail.com for a timely response.

xo,R